A New Persprctive on Emotions
Managing strong emotions, whether positive or negative, is a common challenge. Often as human beings, we tend to act out unskillfully and later regret it. Meditation-based exercises enable one to gain control of their emotions and thus avoid future regrets. In Today's episode, Shayn shares a simple meditation exercise to help us control our overwhelming feelings/emotions. At the end of the meditation, one should answer a few questions to determine if the meditation exercise was effective in controlling emotion.
During this episode, you will learn about;
[00:01] Episode introduction
[00:04] This week's topic: a new perspective on emotions
[02:34] A meditation exercise to deal with our emotions
[03:41] #1 Take a comfortable seat in a quiet and safe place
[03:51] #2 Set timer for three, five, or seven minutes or more
[03:59] #3 Close your eyes
[04:03] #4 Choose an emotion to work with as the object of your meditation
[04:21] #5 Notice the feeling in your body and move toward it
[04:25] #6 Explore all the details and qualities you will notice about the emotion
[04:34] #7 Anytime you notice you are telling a story about the emotion, return to the physical sensation of the emotion
[04:52] #8 Notice how the emotion physically moves and changes
[05:10] #9 Stay with the motion as your object of meditation until the time is up
[05:23] 12 questions to answer after the meditation exercise
[08:34] Repeat the meditation exercise on another day but choose a positive emotion
[08:47] Watch and witness with the same intensity and curiosity you did in the first exercise and review the questions again
[08:57] Notice if there is any difference
[09:14] Each time you realize you are experiencing a strong emotion, pause 5 to 15 breathes to explore whether the emotion is in your body
[09:27] Move towards the emotion with awareness
12 Questions to Answer After the Meditation Exercise
- Describe your experience with mediation in general
- Which emotion did you choose and why?
- Observing the emotion, was it easy to pin down or hard to find?
- Describe in your own words the emotion
- Was it challenging to be present with the emotion vs. the story behind it?
- Could you separate the emotion from the object or the story?
- Have you ever felt one way about a situation and then later felt differently?
- As you watch the emotion, how does it change?
- Did the emotion eventually disappear or become impossible to find?
- How do you think this awareness of emotions could benefit you outside this meditation?
- What do you think the difference is between saying I am sad and I am feeling sadness?
- How would your life change if you could remember this difference all the time?
- "We often choose to work with negative emotions because they are the ones we want to change." [08:25]
- "Who and what we really are is the awareness that witnesses those thoughts and emotions." [10:08]
Love the show? Subscribe, Rate, Review, Like, and Share!
Connect with Shayn De Mur on;
- Website: https://www.zenbitespodcast.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/shayndemur
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shayndemur/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ZenBites
- Email: [email protected]